Saturday, September 17, 2011

Udaipur

 

My next destination was Udaipur.  It looked like it would be beautiful and relaxing and exceeded all expectations.  I lucked out with a great auto rickshaw driver from the train station who showed me around and invited me to dinner with some other tourists.  In the end I extended my stay to over a week!



I visited this little lakeside restaurant almost everyday after discovering it.  Covered daybed-cum-table, wine, beautiful view, no crowds or street boys?  Perfect, especially in the rain.


This was the view from my hotel room.  Bhanwar Vilas isn't the nicest accommodation, but it was cheap, comfortable enough, and well located in between the two major lakes.


Another bonus, the proprietor was very friendly and took me on his scooter to visit his family farm.  Here are some of the family that actually work the farm.


The wife cooks in a hut, separate from the rest of the house.


The fields at the moment are growing corn, like those I saw all over Rajasthan.  They also have a sizeable amrud (guava) orchard.  Not to mention all the fruits and  vegetables they seem to grow just for personal consumption:  passion fruit, amla, bottle gourd, peanuts, guava, banana, mango, chikoo, potatoes, chili, mint, and so on.


We stopped at Tiger Lake.


And drove through much of the beautiful country side and villages.


Some lovely views to be had from the hotel's rooftop terrace.  Especially at sunset.

No comments: