Monday, June 27, 2011

Travel minutiae

Planning a selfish weekend getaway to a local vineyard, wrapped in the guise of a surprise for the Manboy, I've encountered an interesting travel reality/feature in India.  The destination is (hopefully) less than 4 hours away by car.  Of course we don't have a car, nor do I want to rent one and drive myself.  Obvious solution: I'm hiring a service. 

But do we have to keep the driver for the whole weekend, or will he drive back and forth?  If the former, do we have to put him up at our destination?  It turns out 'bedding' your maid or driver is part of the hotel service.  Yes, they actually called it 'bedding'.  And imagine taking your maid to a hotel!  It is too much.  I want to say 'Only in India', but this is probably common in many other places too.  You guys, I am so not coming back.

4 comments:

Ann said...

lol.

Unknown said...

I think it's great that your planning trips; good for you. If you've already been, how was it? I've been doing Riesling tasting lately and enjoying myself. We haven't spoken recently but I keep up with the Blog and really appreciate it. I'm so glad you've been connecting with an "outside the friends-and family" blog-follower. She sounds very interesting. We're off to the Country Fair this weekend. The weather has been glorious around here lately;high 70s/low 80s, sunny and breezy. Is it still raining over there? Maybe we could skype soon?
Be well, Shelley

Audrey Hennefer said...

Sounds like you're really adapting well to life in India....I'm jealous. I'm sure it's much more exciting than life in Gresham.

Siera said...

'Adapting' or 'getting spoiled?' Hmmm...

What are you up to these days, Audrey? I don't think I've seen you in years. Maybe you should make a trip to India!