Monday, January 24, 2011

Mystery Produce Episode 2 - Sharbat

Disclaimer:  This episode does not in fact contain any produce whatsoever.  Mystery Produce was not the most accurate choice of name, but it sounds better than Unfamiliar Foodstuffs I've Been Buying Randomly Since Arriving in India.  One of my first such purchases was Rooh Afza, an Indian Sharbat.  Boaz figured it for a rose syrup.  It also features several other ingredients. 

Indian sharbat Rooh Afza sabja basil seeds

Serendipitously, in my quest to buy all the spices D-Mart carries I picked up some sabja, or basil seeds.  Shama was here as I was putting away my purchases and asked about them.  She showed me that when soaked in water, sabja turns into little gelatinous balls.  Plans for supplies to be acquired and delicious drinks to be created upon her return Wednesday ensued.  Then I remembered the Sharbat!  So we combined both of these with milk and made a delightful little drink on the spot.

3 comments:

Ann said...

Just checking that your drink concoction is actually rose water and basil seeds? Hmmmm...

Siera said...

Ha ha. Syrup, not water, so it is sweet. It's more or less like bubble tea. I thought it was pretty good. I'll make you some when you visit!

Jim Lachman said...

Mmm Rooh Afza. It's good with whole milk, sugar and ice. I have some in my kitchen at all times. :)